Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thanks Heaven for Modern Medicine

It was a normal Sunday.  We started the day of with a fast, it was the first Sunday of the month, after all.  My son was up early, doing his duty, collecting fast offerings.  You don't need to ask him twice.  If there is a way to serve, he is in - unless it's me asking!  But sometimes, a relaxing Sunday, is not in the cards.  Josh started complaining his stomach hurt shortly after church.  I assumed that he was hungry.  I know I was.  But when the pain moved to his right side and he started throwing up, we started to get concerned.  I looked up his symptoms on webmd.  Yes, I know, not the most reliable source.  But after reading online AND consulting with our family doctor - who just happens to be my brother-in-law, we suspected that he had appendicitis.  I loaded him up in the car, with a lovely pink tupperware bowl ( that the hospital threw away, mind you) and headed to the emergency room.  And then we waited and waited and waited.  The hospital we were in has 72 beds in their emergency room and we still sat there forever.  I can only imagine what kind of germs were lurking.  Needless to say, I hit every hand sanitizing dispenser I could find.  Finally, we were seen and all kinds of tests were run. They were pretty certain that it was appendicitis, but they wouldn't operate because he was only 12.  They sent us to Primary Children's Hospital.  More driving, more nausea, more pain.  Once we arrived at PCH, they gave Josh some Zofran for the nausea and he immediately started asking for food.  Unfortunately for him, it would be another 14 hours before he could eat.  The doctors confirmed that Josh needed an appendectomy and surgery was scheduled for 2 in the morning.  Oh, joy!  There is nothing like sleeping in hospital room on a rocking chair.  Oh, so very restful.  It's scary watching you son being wheeled into surgery.  I know it's a very common proceedure, but still...that's my baby!  After an hour of uncertainty, the doctor informed us that everything was fine and Josh was walking up.  Halleluja!  He slept all morning and woke up asking for food, of course.  He thought that was the best part.  You could order anything from the menu, at any time.  Wow, what a treat!  He was discharged later that evening, with three tiny little incisions on his stomach.  Just like that, he was appendix free.  I'm so grateful for the doctors and nurses at Primary Children's Hospital.  They were adorable with Josh and with us.  Kudos to them.  Tonight was the first night that he could resume sporting activities.  You'd have thought he'd won the lottery! Kids recover so quickly, it's like nothing ever happened!

No comments:

Post a Comment